Step 1 - How to Present the PIV Authentication Certificate to DoD Websites
The CAC has three certificates that are of interest:
ID Certificate – identifier is10 digits long
PIV Authentication Certificate – identifier is 16 digits long
Email Signing Certificate – identifier is10 digits long
You will select either
Selecting a certificate.
2. Select “More choices”, the following dialog should appear:
More choices menu when selecting a certificate.
3. After selecting a cert the last step is entering your PIN:
Entering a CAC PIN.
For Firefox (Not recommended for use):
1. Open Firefox and open the Menu (3 vertical lines in the top right corner). Select Options.
Accessing the Firefox settings menu.
2. Select Privacy and Security. Scroll to the bottom of the page.
Changing Firefox Certificates settings.
3. Select “Ask you every time”. There is no need to save, close the Options tab.
4. Enter the website address into the address bar. The following pop up should appear, enter your PIN:
Entering the master password in Firefox.
5. The following popup should then appear: (Drop Down Menu for Cert Selection, 6 digit serial number [12:XY:34])
The User Identification Request popup.
6. This screen should be familiar to most Thin Client users. Here is how to identify the correct cert from the drop down menu. For future ease of use or to use Chrome, look at the 6 digit serial number between the brackets: [12:XY:34] in this example.
An example of the email certificate.
An example of the ID certificate.
An example of the PIV Auth certificate.
1. You will need to determine the 6 digit serial number associated with your certificates by using step 6 above.
2. Enter the website address into the address bar. The following popup should appear, select the correct certificate:
An example of the certificate selection pop-up in Chrome.
Recommended CAC reader hardware:
uTrust SmartFold SCR3500
If you are having trouble with these steps, please email CSR (Operation Hours: 0600-1700 EST).