For 15 years with the Defense Mapping Agency, a heritage organization of the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, Lawrence F. Ayers led the digital revolution in mapping, charting and geodesy. He is cited for teaming with successive Army, Navy and Air Force directors of DMA to firmly establish the Agency as an organization that could be counted on to deliver accurate products, on time and where needed.
During his career with DMA, Ayers undertook a total revolution in the associated technology, first as head of DMA’s research and development program, then as technical director of the DMA Aerospace Center in St. Louis, deputy director of Production and Operations and finally as deputy director for management and technology.
Ayers earned a BS in civil engineering at Virginia Polytechnic Institute in 1954 and received an MPA from Indiana University in 1966. He was named a Distinguished Alumnus of Virginia Tech in 1999. In 2003, he was inducted into the NGA Hall of Fame.